Code of Ethics
Below is the mandatory Code of Ethics that all Dachshunds Clubs have adopted at the request of The Kennel Club.
Click here for the KC Guidance for Breed Club members regarding the Code of Ethics
All members of Dachshund Breed Clubs undertake to abide by their general Code of Ethics. Club members:
- Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
- Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
- Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
- Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
- Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
- Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
- Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
- Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
- Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
- Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
- Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
- Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
- Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
- Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
- Will provide a statement that the dog/puppy has been wormed and a suggested routine to follow.
- Will provide an insurance certificate covering veterinary fees for six weeks from the date of purchase.
- Will discourage indiscriminate breeding, bearing in mind always the welfare of the bitch as a primary consideration and the long-term welfare of any puppies bred by me.
- Will not breed from any stock that has, or may carry, any serious hereditary faults. In particular I will not allow any dog to be used at stud if he has, or could carry; serious hereditary faults and I will be very selective of the bitches on which he is used. If health screening/testing is available for any hereditary/illness carried by breed, I will ensure all my breeding stock is tested.
- Will not knowingly mate 2 dapples together.
- Will not allow any of my dogs to be used irresponsibly at stud.
Will not Breed irresponsibly
(a) From any bitch less than one year of age at the time of mating and only if she is considered mature enough to raise a litter of puppies.
(b) From any dam which is 8 years or over at the date of whelping unless I obtain Kennel Club permission.
(c) From any dam which has whelped 4 litters (KC Regulation from 01/01/12)
(d) More than one litter in a twelve-month period per bitch. (Except with Veterinary Advice)
22. No bitch to be mated who has had 2 caesarean sections (as this may indicate possible whelping difficulties).
23. No bitch more than 4 weeks in whelp should be imported, exported or exhibited.
24. As a judge I will act with courtesy and integrity to all exhibitors, I will judge according to the standard of points and will consider as part of my decisions the
temperament and physical condition of the dogs judged. in particular exhibits which appear thin and undernourished should be seriously penalised.
25. As an exhibitor I will enjoy and applaud other people's success, be welcoming to newcomers and ensure as far as I am able that my dogs behave quietly ay a show.
26. No member shall use social media to make derogatory comments - direct or implied - about another member, the association or an official of the association. Such
conduct may be considered incompatible with continued membership and may lead to the expulsion of that member.